Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilization and storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy and powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action and creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking a Strategist Contractor with a commitment to our mission to join our internationally diverse Strategy team. This position is a full-time, fixed term contract for 6 months.
Senior Strategists develop and deliver strategy workstreams and projects, collaborate closely with our creative and campaigning teams, contribute to business development, and oversee and develop junior colleagues.
You should have experience managing direct reports, ideally with a strategy background from a leading agency—digital, creative, and/or PR—or non-profit advocacy organisation, demonstrated track record leading strategy projects and small teams in a deadline-driven environment, client-facing and relationship-building experience, a high bar for quality and rigour in their own work and colleagues', and a demonstrated track record and/or interest in social sector organising and advocacy. We're looking for team players with passion, a sharp mind, high integrity, a hands-on attitude, and an entrepreneurial, problem-solving spirit.
The role reports to a Strategy Director and is based in Purpose's London office.
- RESEARCH & ANALYSIS
- RESEARCH / Drives development and refinement of hypotheses to define research question(s) and structure/plan across multiple workstreams; conducts strong research, with limited guidance and feedback.
- ANALYSIS / Develops clear and concise analysis, results and conclusions across multiple workstreams; and is able to position the analysis in the context of the overall project, with limited guidance and feedback.
- STRATEGY & PROBLEM SOLVING
- STRATEGY & RECOMMENDATIONS DEVELOPMENT / Translates from research & analysis to identify primary insights and opportunities to pursue across multiple workstreams, develops thought-provoking robust arguments and recommendations, with limited guidance and feedback.
- PARTICIPATION STRATEGY / Fluent in Purpose's frameworks and strategy IP (organising, digital, integrating online and offline actions, brand, coalition building, political, study of human behavior etc.) to develop social impact and participation strategies, can adapt them to diverse applications, and make unique contributions to IP.
- STRUCTURE / Develops overall compelling project storyline and logical frameworks and identifies the appropriate communication format, with limited guidance and feedback.
- WRITTEN / Creates clear and compelling slides/emails/memos that integrates with relevant workstreams, and overall storyline and project, with limited guidance and feedback.
- VERBAL / Confidently presents and facilitates discussion of own work products, and comfortable presenting across workstreams, to client contacts and wider client stakeholders in a clear and well-structured manner; is able apply diverse audience perspectives in framing; use of logical persuasion; and able to engage in related and broader project context discussion and questions.
- CLIENT ENGAGEMENT
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDING / Builds relationships and facilitates collaboration with multiple client contacts, and grows trust and rapport as a go-to advisor.
- ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT / Serves as primary team representative on smaller projects typically with project manager support, maintains positive client relationships even under difficult circumstances, and is sensitive to impacts decisions have on the client and team.
- BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT / Drives elements of the business development process, writes proposals and budgets with limited guidance, and identifies business development opportunities within one's own network and project work.
- COMPANY & TEAM BUILDING
- ISSUE AREAS / Develops and uses contacts or issue expertise to contribute across project and business development opportunities.
- DEVELOPMENT, FEEDBACK & COACHING / Takes proactive role in developing junior colleagues; gives, seek, and receives constructive feedback; initiates and tactfully guides difficult conversations to productive outcomes; and is personally invested in and accountable to the welfare of their direct reports and team members.
- PRODUCTIVITY & SELF-ACCOUNTABILITY / Sets high standard for themself and others in quality and efficiency of work product, and manages upward to leverage experience and flag concerns in a timely manner.
- CULTURE, CONDUCT, COLLABORATION / Champions Purpose internal values through regular interactions, relationships; models professionalism at all times and sets an example; and creates environments that support collaboration and teamwork at all times.
- Experience in a client-facing role leading projects and managing teams in a deadline-driven environment, with ample relationship-building experience
- Strategy background, ideally from a leading agency—digital, creative, and/or PR—or non-profit advocacy organisation, with a demonstrated track record leading strategy projects and small teams in a deadline-driven environment
- High bar for quality, rigour and integrity in their own work and colleagues'
- Demonstrated track record and/or interest in social sector organising and advocacy
- Passion, a sharp mind, high integrity, a hands-on attitude, and an entrepreneurial, problem-solving spirit
- Background in brand strategy and/or formal research & analysis background a plus
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume and a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion and qualifications for the role.
Purpose is an equal opportunity employer. Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.