Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilization and storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart political strategy and powered by new technologies for participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audience, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action that shifts decision-makers and creates lasting impact.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking a Strategist with a commitment to our mission to join our internationally diverse Strategy team.
Strategists develop and deliver strategy workstreams, collaborate closely with our creative and campaigning teams, and contribute to business development.
You should have approximately 2-4 years work experience, ideally with a strategy background from an agency or non-profit advocacy organization, a high bar for quality and rigor, a demonstrated track record and/or interest in social sector organizing and advocacy, and preferably with client-facing experience.
We're looking for team players with passion, a sharp mind, high integrity, a hands-on attitude, and an entrepreneurial, problem-solving spirit.
The role reports to a Senior Strategist and is based in Purpose's New York office.
- RESEARCH & ANALYSIS
- RESEARCH / Take an issue/hypothesis, defines research question(s) and structure/plan for their workstream; conduct strong research; with guidance and feedback.
- ANALYSIS / Develops clear and concise analysis, results and conclusions; and is able to position the analysis in the context of the workstream, with guidance and feedback.
- STRATEGY & PROBLEM SOLVING
- STRATEGY & RECOMMENDATIONS DEVELOPMENT / Translates from research & analysis to identify primary insights and opportunities to pursue for their workstreams, and looks beyond the obvious in developing robust arguments and recommendations, with guidance and feedback.
- PARTICIPATION STRATEGY / Understands and applies Purpose's participation frameworks and IP, with minimal guidance.
- STRUCTURE / Identifies key messages to communicate; develop compelling storyline and logical frameworks to aid communication of workstream; with guidance and feedback
- WRITTEN / Creates clear and compelling slides/emails/memos that integrates with relevant workstreams, and overall storyline and project, with guidance and feedback.
- VERBAL / Comfortably presents own work products to client contacts in a clear and well-structured manner; attuned to nuances of framing for the audience; use of logical persuasion; and able to engage in related discussion and questions.
- CLIENT ENGAGEMENT
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDING / Adds value to relationships through constructive dialogue and contribution, and develops relationships with immediate client contacts.
- ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT / Cognizant of potential client management impacts of issues related to their work, and may provide client management support on smaller projects.
- BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT / Proactively supports business development opportunities, including developing approach to a client prospect's challenge, writing proposals and budgets, and participating in business development meetings.
- COMPANY & TEAM BUILDING
- ISSUE AREAS / Develops specific contacts or expertise to support issue and project teams.
- DEVELOPMENT, FEEDBACK & COACHING / Seeks out opportunities to teach and develop peers, fellows, and interns; gives, seeks, and receives constructive feedback.
- PRODUCTIVITY & SELF-ACCOUNTABILITY / Proactively owns workstreams and consistently executes work to expectations and on time.
- CULTURE, CONDUCT, COLLABORATION / Embodies Purpose internal values on a day-to-day basis, demonstrates professionalism in all facets of works, promotes teamwork by maintaining positive & respectful relationships while contributing to team progress.
- ~2-4 years of full time work experience
- Strategy background from an agency or non-profit advocacy organization
- Preferably client-facing experience
- High bar for quality, rigor and integrity
- Demonstrated track record and/or interest in social sector organizing and advocacy
- Passion, a sharp mind, high integrity, a hands-on attitude, and an entrepreneurial, problem-solving spirit
- Background in brand strategy and/or formal research & analysis background a plus
We're looking to fill this role immediately, please submit your application no later than October 29, 2018.
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume and a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion and qualifications for the role.
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.