Headquartered in New York, Purpose has 6 offices across the world. We are a proud B-Corps creative agency that works with leading nonprofits, philanthropists, foundations, and businesses to design and execute creative pubic mobilisation campaigns in the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We also create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organising, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy and powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action and creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is looking for a Managing Director for its London operation. We are seeking an individual with a commitment to our mission to fight for a just, open, and habitable world. In this role, you will join our internationally diverse team and lead our project work, business development, and operational functions in London.
The Managing Director, London will work closely with Purpose’s global leadership team as well as other key functional teams (Partnerships; Strategy; Campaigns; Creative; Technology & Data; People, Culture & Operations) to continue the growth of our London office.
Serving as the principal representative with senior clients, partners, and stakeholders, you will lead multidisciplinary teams and oversee large complex projects, ensuring that the process and deliverables meet clients' high expectations.
We're seeking someone with a proven track record in:
- A leadership role at a digital or creative agency that has demonstrated experience working in the social impact sector with non-profits, foundations, government, and the private sector;
- Leading and managing the execution of creative public engagement strategies, with a particular focus on digital;
- Business development that has generated funding and revenue;
- Managing a small commercial agency and a strong understanding of the commercial dynamics of such a business; and
- Managing and leading teams.
The role is based in Purpose’s London office and reports to the Regional Managing Director for Europe.
The Managing Director, London will be overseeing the commercial operation of Purpose’s UK subsidiary including leadership of projects, business development, and operational functions. Specifically, the role entails:
- Acting as the principal across London-based projects, responsible for high-level client, partner, and stakeholder management
- Building and leading project teams of strategists, campaigners, and creatives
- Setting and maintaining the highest standards for deliverables, both internal and external
- Developing and implementing a business development strategy that will enable the organisation to continue its growth over the coming years
- Proactively seeking out new clients and partners from the philanthropic, NGO, multilateral, business, and government sectors
- Leading the partnerships and business development function of the London office, with accountability for financial targets, project profitability and the delivery of successful competitive pitches
- Utilising prior experience to shape Purpose’s direction and offering with other directors and our executive team
- Leading the London team and engaging with the different departments to ensure the smooth running of the office
- Participating in strategic decision-making on key questions such as the development of our business model and technology/service offering, our growth strategy, our partnerships and the growth of the organisation
- Collaborating regularly with the Partnerships, Technology and Creative teams across Purpose’s international network
- Serving as a leader, both internally and externally, in a specific area / issue of expertise
- Researching and staying abreast of best practices in online engagement, corporate social responsibility and social innovation
- Demonstrated leadership experience in a digital or creative agency with strong commercial understanding of the fundamental dynamics of a small creative or digital agency
- Experience working on, and passionate about, social impact on progressive issues
- Demonstrated track record in developing, executing, and leading social impact campaigns with an international focus
- Strong entrepreneurial sensibility – you've had success in building campaigns or organisations that employ new, innovative models to drive social impact or have worked and contributed to such ventures
- Digital fluency, especially with regard to social media tools and their role in public mobilisation
- Experienced and adept manager of distributed, multidisciplinary, diverse teams with a passion for people management and experience building and supporting team culture
- Sophisticated interpersonal and mature client/funder management skills
- Experience as a professional development manager to 4 or more people simultaneously
- Networked in the nonprofit, foundation, government, and multilateral sectors, with significant reach within the UK and continental Europe
- Experience in a start-up or growth business environment, with an entrepreneurial spirit, a nimble approach, and comfort in adapting and responding to quickly changing situations
- Confident and sophisticated communicator, presenter, and writer
- Share Purpose's progressive, internationalist worldview
- A global sensibility, global issue and policy expertise, and/or global work experience
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you!
To apply for this role, please visit the website of our recruitment partners, The Red Sea Consultancy Ltd, and submit your materials there: http://www.redseasearch.co.uk/managing-director-london/
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply