Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilisation and storytelling to help leading organisations, activists, businesses, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organising, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart political strategy and powered by new technologies for participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audience, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action that shifts decision-makers and creates lasting impact.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking an experienced Art Director who can balance big-idea thinking with solid team management, a great network and experience of working with freelance creatives, and impeccable creative execution.
The ideal candidate for the Art Director role is a sophisticated, creative thinker whose leadership makes an impact in work and on everyone around them. You create with passion, innovate with every project that comes your way, and thrive in a fast-paced environment. Your work demonstrates a strong point of view with a nuanced understanding of the audience.
You’ll oversee talented designers and copywriters on projects working for positive, lasting social and environmental change. Maybe you’ve been working in advertising or design, thinking, “could I find a place where I could use my skills to address climate change instead of … toothpaste?” Purpose is that place.
The role reports to the Creative Director and is based in Purpose's London office.
- Lead creative projects and teams from ideation to pixel-perfect delivery, in partnership with the Strategy, Campaigns, and Project Management teams.
- Set the conceptual and stylistic vision and take a hands-on role in the design for multiple projects and campaigns, providing design solutions that incite participation and engagement. Work will include projects involving brand identity creation, campaign concepting and execution, responsive web design, infographic and data visualization, print collateral, and video graphics.
- Collaborate with Project Management and Strategy teams to manage creative deliverables and ensure deadlines and budgets are met.
- Manage and mentor Visual and UX Designers and support their professional development.
- Lead and participate in winning new business.
- Present creative deliverables internally and externally, guiding teams and clients to solid creative solutions.
- Proven ability to lead creative teams, guide and relay art and design direction, and communicate a project’s creative vision to clients in a compelling way.
- A passion for issue-based or political activism and belief in Purpose’s work combining storytelling and technology to inspire people to remake the world.
- Expertise in brand development, including a strong understanding of how to incorporate a brand throughout all aspects of a campaign.
- Ability to work well under pressure, maintaining quality and attention to detail under real-world deadlines.
- Self-motivated and collaborative spirit.
- Significant experience designing and concepting in a fast-paced agency or start-up setting.
- Experience in an Art Director role and with formally supervising and training employees to organize and prioritize work assignments.
- Thorough fluency with Adobe Creative Suite. Knowledge of additional design, prototyping tools or experience with copywriting is a plus, as is expertise in front or back-end coding, illustration, motion graphics, video production, or photography.
- Strong presentation and client-facing skills.
- Undergraduate degree in advertising, design, or related field or equivalent visual design degree.
- Ability to work onsite at Purpose’s London office.
Please provide a link to your online portfolio (no PDFs, please) in both your resume and cover letter.
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume and a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion and qualifications for the role.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Applications should be completed and submitted by Monday, August 20.
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.