Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilisation and storytelling to help leading organisations, activists, businesses, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organising, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart political strategy and powered by new technologies for participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audience, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action that shifts decision-makers and creates lasting impact.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking a Strategy Intern to work with our team in the London office to support the execution of strategy workstreams and projects across email, social, and other digital channels; working on issues ranging from climate change, air pollution, the refugee crisis, youth empowerment and public health.
Interns gain hands-on experience creating content for the development of campaigns and movements, as well as liaising with partners and working with a diverse team whose common goal is nothing less than to the change the world.
You will gain exposure to a range of challenges such as perception, behaviour change and policy change.
You will have a Development Manager, whose role is to guide you and ensure that your time is spent making an impact for Purpose and our partner organisations with the goal of creating participatory campaigns in order to tackle the world’s toughest social problems. You will work out of Purpose’s London Office in Clerkenwell and will report to a senior member of the Strategy Team. The Strategy Intern role is a 6-month, fixed-term employment commitment with the possibility of extension.
It’s important that the intern should have a deep interest in social justice campaigns. The ideal candidate will also have experience managing social media properties, including creating and updating content calendars. Experience with paid media and placement, testing, and optimization of paid social campaigns and with the creative arts (graphic design / video production / copywriting / animation / illustration) is a plus.
Your role will consist of working with other members of the strategy team to conduct research and develop strategy for effective campaign interventions. While this is a strategy centric role, you will also have the opportunity to collaborate closely with our Campaigns and Creative teams across most projects.
- Be dedicated to 2-3 projects full time supporting other Strategy team members
- Conduct research to feed into campaign strategy development
- Support the team in crafting creative briefs, audience profiles and key communications messages
- Contribute to key strategy documents and presentations - internal and client facing
- Contribute to internal Purpose-wide initiatives and building culture
We think you will be a successful candidate if you (have):
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment with poise and good humour
- Hard work ethic
- Stellar communication skills (verbal, written and listening)
- Positive attitude, enthusiasm, professionalism, ambition, curiosity and rigor
- Interest in public engagement, communication and design
- High personal integrity, with commitment to creating progressive change in the world
- Understand the intersection of online and offline organizing, mobilization, and direct action
- Familiarity with digital campaigning and movement-building and/or issue areas of strong relevance to Purpose’s mission
For our interns, we want to learn a bit more about you personally! Your cover letter*, in addition to detailing your relevant experience, should answer these three key questions about you:
- What about Purpose’s work resonates with your future aspirations?
- As a Purpose intern, what could you bring to the team that would set you aside from anyone else, including passions and skills outside of your educational focus?
- Name one campaign for social good that you admire and tell us what you like about it – max 250 words.
*Your cover letter should be no longer than 2 pages max.
Please apply with your CV and cover letter through the jobs page on our website: https://www.purpose.com/jobs/
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of colour, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.