Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilization and storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart political strategy and powered by new technologies for participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audience, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action that shifts decision-makers and creates lasting impact.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking an experienced HR & Talent Manager to work with our team to (1) source, hire, and retain the most talented candidates in the fields of digital campaigning, political strategy, brand strategy, social impact and advocacy, movement building, design, and data analysis and (2) tackle operational HR-related responsibilities while (3) advancing and upholding Purpose’s commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion across the company. This position reports to the Chief of Staff.
The HR & Talent Manager will ideally have experience working in both established and rapidly growing companies, having structured or maintained recruitment and HR processes for a variety of positions and types of organizations, including agencies or professional services firms. This candidate will have deep experience with all facets of the HR function’s day-to-day management, including employee relations and general HR compliance best practices. The successful candidate will also have a demonstrated ability to recognize and source skilled individuals from both the conventional, as well as the more innovative, pools of talent. And they will be able to build and maintain relationships with key players, influencers, and organizations in the wide range of sectors that our work covers, anticipating future staffing needs and proactively implementing equitable and inclusive hiring plans to ensure that our projects are always staffed with the strongest teams possible.
This candidate will have helped to formally structure equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives in other organizations, reflecting Purpose’s commitment to these areas.
This role is full-time and based in our New York office.
The HR & Talent Manager will be joining Purpose's People, Culture & Operations team, contributing to special projects relevant to sustaining and building Purpose culture across the full breadth of our global team.
THE DAY TO DAY
- HR Management:
- In close coordination with Equity Team and the Chief of Staff, develop/integrate/apply our company-wide work in equity, diversity, and inclusion to all HR-related functions on a day-to-day basis
- Manage, coach, and mentor HR team members to execute on critical HR administrative, strategy, data and analytics work that undergirds people and culture as well as all aspects of HR
- Manage the centralized onboarding and off-boarding process for all staff and collaborate with managers and functional teams to create tailored and personalized onboarding programs that fit the nuanced needs of all staff
- Oversee the organization, accuracy, retention, and compliance of all HR information, including personnel files
- Manage external partnerships and execute open-enrollment and other benefits administration processes across the organization
- Partner with accounting to ensure the efficient and accurate execution of payroll operations
- Work with external counsel to manage internal inquiries and resolve labor-related issues
- Build trusting relationships across the organization to integrate HR work
- Communicate effectively to staff members about HR work and initiatives
- Provide leadership and/or support on other departmental matters and initiatives, including staff onboarding, learning and professional development, disciplinary processes, and culture
- Coordinate professional development for staff members and managers with a focus on continuous improvement and in collaboration with content experts
- Ensure that all HR policies and procedures are up-to-date, comprehensive and in compliance with state/federal statues
- Make recommendations for, draft and implement new policies and protocols as needed
- Recruitment & Talent Management:
- In close coordination with Equity Team and the Chief of Staff, develop/integrate/apply our company-wide work in equity, diversity, and inclusion to our recruitment function on a day-to-day basis
- Manage full life-cycle recruiting process from search and identification to offer negotiation and closing
- Create and implement strategies, recruitment plans, and processes that support our initiatives to build an overall talent acquisition practice that attracts and retains top talent
- Track and manage the talent database, continually assessing the balance of freelance and full-time employees
- Collaborate with managers and functional leads to evaluate current and future recruiting needs, ensure staffing effectiveness, and address any gaps in available talent
- Recruit for key positions, leveraging social networking tools, external recruiting events, and conventional and more innovative sourcing techniques
- Build a network of high-quality contractors available to staff projects in the US, Europe, and other geographies as needed
- Educate and inspire hiring managers when it comes to: employee brand marketing, clarifying job specifications, using social networks to recruit, interviewing and assessing candidates, and ensuring a positive candidate experience
- Engage senior leadership and hiring managers through the recruiting and hiring process
- Maintain Purpose’s focus on equal opportunity employment practices and champion initiatives that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace
- Own and manage our Applicant Tracking System, Greenhouse, using metrics to improve overall process, increase the quality of hire, and elevate the recruitment practice
- You have at least 5-7 years of combined HR and recruiting experience
- You have concrete experience shaping and structuring organization-wide initiatives around equity, diversity, and inclusion
- You have received some amount of formal equity, diversity, and inclusion training
- You are a confident and sophisticated communicator, presenter, and writer
- You have experience handling sensitive and confidential information and dealing with urgent, highly confidential issues in a fast-paced environment
- You have a track record in building productive relationships with a range of key players, candidates and influencers in relevant fields
- You have proven experience developing and implementing recruitment processes across a range of positions
- You carry high personal integrity, with commitment to advancing both profit and mission-driven objectives
- You have people management and team-building experience, and can speak to those experiences
- You ideally have some experience managing external vendors to achieve strong end-user results
- You have knowledge and experience in the execution of best practices in management and recruitment for growing organizations
- You have the right to work in the US
- You are ideally familiar with creative agencies, campaigning, and movement-building or issue areas of strong relevance to Purpose’s mission
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume and a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion and qualifications for the role.
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.