Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilization and storytelling to help the leading organizations, activists, businesses, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creative, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart political strategy and powered by new technologies for participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action that shifts decision-makers and creates lasting impact.
Hope is a new intelligent media platform that serves as your savvy, funny friend who helps you understand politics and take strategic action. By coming to life where users are already having conversations—SMS, Messenger, Kik, and native mobile apps—Hope uses conversation-style stories to inform, activate, and motivate the new generation of activists who want to get engaged in making change but don’t yet know how. Hope is launching in October 2017 (https://meethope.us/).
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for a Campaigner to join the Hope team and to be based in New York or San Francisco.
You’ll be a great fit for this position if you have an excellent eye for strategic, rapid-response campaigning interventions that can be deployed against a quickly changing news cycle to create real impact – and a track record of engaging partners to do so.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 3+ years experience in political advocacy, organizing, digital activism, advocacy-driven media, or creative campaigns
- Demonstrable strong strategic thinking and campaign planning skills
- Fluency across best practices in digital strategy, from email marketing to social media to paid media (with experience in mobile-based communications mediums most relevant)
- Ability to work lead project teams under pressure and tight deadlines, and stay organized to get a campaign out the door
- Experience working in social media publishing or media
- Excellent writing communication skills and comfort working with creatives
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture and a hierarchical team structure
- Experience with running optimization experiments (e.g., A/B) and making data driven decisions
- Experience in a start-up, growth business, or dynamic non-profit
- Experience in campaigning at the national or international level
- You’re a person of integrity, people enjoy working with you, and you’re personally committed to progressive and humanitarian values
- A great understanding of the functionality and audiences of the major platforms
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Working with the editorial team to analyze the issue landscape and news cycle and identify opportunities for impactful interventions
- Joining the editorial meetings to review sourced engagement tactics and drive the actions associated with each news story
- Helping to craft Hope stories, and working on the development of campaign strategies, narratives, and storytelling that move people to action to deliver real world impact
- Building and fostering relationships with key partners and including not-for-profit partners, policy makers and media who are working on similar issues
- Executing campaigns, including developing Hope content, in conjunction with the editorial team, running experiments (e.g., A/B email subject line tests), monitoring metrics, and sharing data-driven results
- Working with the editorial team to lead the creation of multiple social-first videos, graphics, and text posts every week for Hope’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram channels, from concept to execution
- Tracking performance and reporting back on what’s working and what’s not, with a special focus on new user sign-ups to Hope
- Working with analytics dashboards to assess performance and further optimize content
- Curating others’ content for aggregation
- Writing mobile content for Hope itself
- Working in a collaborative, fast-paced environment with rigorous publishing schedules
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume and a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion and qualifications for the role.
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.