Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilization and storytelling to help the leading non-profit organizations, activists, philanthropies, and businesses engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change culture. To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, technology, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organization, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As an integral part of the Partnerships team at Purpose, the Business Development & Fundraising Manager is critical in ensuring the success of our efforts to identify new opportunities to do impactful work together with clients and funders. This person will seek to build partnerships that create positive, tangible social and political impact in the world and create solutions to the complex global challenges that we face. Your day-to-day will involve working closely with our Strategy, Campaigns, Creative, and Tech teams to develop proposals (including supporting materials such as briefs, decks, and pitches) for potential projects and labs with prospective clients and funders. These will range across NGOs, progressive companies, foundations, and individuals working on these global challenges, including climate change, public health, refugee & migration issues, civil rights, and beyond.
This is a full-time role based in our New York office and reports to the Chief of Staff.
Proposal Development and Deliverable Creation:
- Develop and/or delegate responsibilities to create the necessary deliverables for the pitch process to prospective clients and funders – from initial emails and memorandums outlining potential collaborative efforts, to Purpose credential decks, proposals elaborating our vision for potential engagements, detailed scopes of work/grant proposals, and pitch decks for client presentations
- Research current programs and initiatives of prospective clients and funders to identify possible areas for collaboration, partnership, and funding
- Project manage and delegate responsibilities across business development and fundraising teams to develop the campaigns or creative strategy for engagements with prospective clients and funders (including convening brainstorms, setting up scoping sessions, etc.)
- Write formal agreements from proposals or pitches by developing a statement of work or grant agreement and aligning on terms and conditions
Internal Process Management:
- Work closely with the Managing Director, Head of Labs, and other members of the leadership team to design a unified partnerships strategy and plan
- Track and report on new business pipeline against goals and implementation of strategy and plan
- Track revenue and report on annual forecast and quarterly trends
- Liaise with the staffing team regarding upcoming human resource needs
- Build pitch teams by working with the Strategy, Campaigns, Creative, and Tech teams to ensure each new opportunity has an owner and that no opportunity falls through the cracks
- Track and coordinate ongoing conversations with prospective clients and funders
- Own Salesforce (CRM management) – customize the platform as needed; log accounts, contacts, new opportunities, and conversations
- Own all business development & fundraising materials – ensuring organized systems, consistency, and that all important documents are logged and filed
- Support in developing and overseeing any Purpose mass communication as needed (e.g., email newsletters, marketing emails, social media)
- Research, identify and qualify prospective clients and funders
- Prepare briefing and meeting materials for new prospective client and funder meetings
- Take initial calls and meetings with early-stage client and funder prospects to assess the opportunity and advise on a course of action
- Serve as trusted point of contact for prospects and new clients and funders
- You have 3-5 years of full-time working experience (relevant fields might include business development, strategic partnerships, nonprofit fundraising, or philanthropy)
- * Bonus: You have a background, advanced degrees, or networks in the social good and social impact fields, e.g., human rights, international development, climate change, civil liberties
- You are an excellent writer with experience in grant writing, composing research-based and analytical papers, policy papers, editorials, or articles on above mentioned issues, able to synthesize complex ideas into simple, straightforward language and communicate clearly and succinctly
- You have experience and skills in client-facing roles
- You have project management experience
- You have a rich and diverse research background and a strong skill set in the kinds of complex global issues that Purpose tackles (be prepared to provide examples of relevant research experience)
- You have superior attention to detail and organizational capabilities and are able to manage multiple priorities at the same time
- You have strong interpersonal skills and a very high EQ
- You are able to remain upbeat, calm, and strategic under high-pressure and/or challenging scenarios that require nimble thinking and problem-solving
- You care deeply about the world and are dedicated to making a positive impact
- You are curious and committed to learning and thriving in a fast-paced growth-stage company environment
- You are an exceptional Powerpoint user
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume and a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion and qualifications for the role.
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.