Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilization and storytelling to help the leading organizations, businesses, activists and foundations engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and create change.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creativity, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing and strategy to build creative campaigns, action brands, innovative technology and new campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy and powered by new technologies for participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action that shifts decision-makers and creates lasting impact.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Senior Copywriter at Purpose, you will balance big-idea thinking with solid team management and impeccable creative execution.
You will collaborate with talented designers, strategists, and campaigners, working on projects for positive, lasting change. You will be a champion of words, crafting language in support of our campaign efforts, and giving powerful and appropriate voice to ideas. Your ability to translate complex, strategic concepts into approachable narratives will open doors for those in need, helping people to understand a given issue and know exactly how to take action. Additionally, you will develop digital and marketing strategies that demonstrate a strong point of view and a nuanced understanding of target audiences.
Your strong presentation skills will position you to land ideas with internal and external audiences, making you a trusted and indispensable resource for colleagues and clients.
This role is full-time, based in our New York office, and reports to our Creative Director.
- Contribute to creative projects from ideation to delivery
- Set the concept and narrative vision for brands and campaigns, providing direction and copy that incites participation and engagement. Work will include naming & branding, voice and tone guidelines, sample brand messaging, tagline development, narrative development & issue framing, campaign concepting & execution, and copy for video (treatments and scripts), digital (websites, social posts, emails), and print assets
- Collaborate with project management and strategy teams to manage creative deliverables and ensure deadlines and budgets are met
- Support the professional development of other team members
- Participate in winning new business
- Present creative deliverables internally and externally, guiding teams and clients to solid creative solutions
We believe you will be a successful candidate if you have:
- 5-8 years work experience writing and concepting in a fast-paced agency or start-up setting
- A proven ability to guide copy and concept direction and communicate a project’s creative vision to clients in a compelling way
- Strong presentation and client-facing skills
- Experience developing both short and long form narrative pieces in support of a brand or creative campaign
- Experience in creating a brand voice, developing a verbal brand toolkit, and demonstrating how it extends throughout all branded touchpoints
- A passion for issue-based or political activism and belief in Purpose’s work combining storytelling and technology to inspire people to remake the world
- Poise under pressure, maintaining quality and attention to detail under real-world deadlines
- A positive attitude and collaborative nature
- Undergraduate degree in advertising, design, journalism or related field
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume and a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion and qualifications for the role.
Please provide a link to your online portfolio (no PDFs, please) in both your resume and cover letter, and please apply through the jobs page on our website: https://www.purpose.com/jobs/
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of colour, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.