Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilisation and storytelling to help leading organisations, activists, businesses, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organising, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart political strategy and powered by new technologies for participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audience, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action that shifts decision-makers and creates lasting impact.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking a Creative Intern to work with our team in the London office to develop and execute movements.
Interns gain hands-on experience creating content for the development of campaigns and movements, as well as liaising with partners and working with a diverse team whose common goal is nothing less than to the change the world.
You will work within the Creative department at Purpose to learn about creative campaigning and how Purpose utilises tools to build movements. You will also have the opportunity to participate in various projects to help develop Purpose as a company overall.
You will have a Development Manager, whose role is to guide you and ensure that your time is spent making an impact for Purpose and our partner organisations with the goal of creating participatory campaigns in order to tackle the world’s toughest social problems. You will work out of Purpose’s London Office in Clerkenwell and will report to a senior member of the Creative Team. The Creative Intern role is a 6-month, fixed-term employment commitment with the possibility of extension.
It is important that you have a deep interest in social justice campaigns. The ideal candidate will also have experience managing social media properties, including creating and updating content calendars. Experience with paid media and placement, testing, and optimization of paid social campaigns and with the creative arts (graphic design / video production / copywriting / animation / illustration) is a plus.
- Serve as a supporting member to a project team or group
- Create various forms of content – e.g., visual graphics, UX designs, motion graphics
- Participate in identifying opportunities for internal growth and contribute to internal Purpose-wide initiatives as they arise
- Provide fresh design insight to help support the following:
- Creating behavioral change
- Community-building and organizing
- Converting online activity to offline action
- Potentially assist internal teams with client, funder, and partner proposals
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with poise and good humour
- Hard work ethic
- Stellar communication skills (verbal, written and listening)
- Positive attitude, enthusiasm, professionalism, ambition, curiosity and rigor
- Interest in public engagement, communication and design
- Knowledge of visual design tools (e.g., Photoshop)
- You carry high personal integrity, with commitment to creating progressive change in the world
- You understand the intersection of online and offline organizing, mobilization, and direct action
- You are familiar with digital campaigning and movement-building, and/or issue areas of strong relevance to Purpose’s mission
We think you will be a successful candidate if you have:
- Strong conceptual skills (experience in print and digital is a plus!)
- Have experience using Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Experience in one or more of the following: political or issue-based campaigning, brand or innovation strategy, social media strategy, social innovation, or social entrepreneurialism.
Please include any relevant examples of graphic design or branding work, or a link to your creative portfolio.
For our interns, we want to learn a bit more about you personally! Your cover letter*, in addition to detailing your relevant experience, should answer these three key questions about you:
- What about Purpose’s work resonates with your future aspirations?
- As a Purpose intern, what could you bring to the team that would set you aside from anyone else, including passions and skills outside of your educational focus?
- Name one campaign for social good that you admire and tell us what you like about it – max 250 words.
*Your cover letter should be no longer than 2 pages max.
Please apply with your CV, cover letter and portfolio/relevant examples of your work through the jobs page on our website: https://www.purpose.com/jobs/
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of colour, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.