Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilisation and storytelling to help leading organisations, activists, businesses, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organising, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart political strategy and powered by new technologies for participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audience, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action that shifts decision-makers and creates lasting impact.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking a Digital Campaigns intern to work with our team in the London office to support the execution of campaigns projects across email, social, and other digital channels; working on issues ranging from climate change, air pollution, the refugee crisis, youth empowerment and public health.
You will gain hands-on experience creating content for the development of campaigns and movements, as well as liaising with partners and working with a diverse team whose common goal is nothing less than to the change the world.
You will have a Development Manager, whose role is to guide you and ensure that your time is spent making an impact for Purpose and our partner organisations with the goal of creating participatory campaigns in order to tackle the world’s toughest social problems. You will work out of Purpose’s London Office in Clerkenwell and will report to a senior member of the Campaigns Team. The Campaigns Intern role is a 6-month, fixed-term employment commitment with the possibility of extension. As we are a Living Wage Employer, all interns are paid the London Living Wage.
It is important that you have a deep interest in social justice campaigns. The ideal candidate will also have experience managing social media properties, including creating and updating content calendars. Experience with paid media and placement, testing, and optimisation of paid social campaigns and with the creative arts (graphic design / video production / copywriting / animation / illustration) is a plus.
Interested candidates should submit their CV, portfolio or examples of relevant work with cover letter, highlighting their relevant experience and explaining their interest in the role.
- Work with project teams to help identify rapid-response campaign opportunities based on what’s happening in today’s news cycle
- Participate in brainstorms to develop campaign ideas and tactics in response to these news cycle opportunities
- Work with our Strategy team to help develop campaign strategies aimed at mobilizing millions to participate in creating meaningful social change
- Work with our Creative team on developing campaign opportunities, and to co-develop compelling creative campaign concepts
- Participate in brainstorms to develop creative content ideas for short films, websites and digital experiences, and on-the-ground activations
- Help develop content calendars, and write individual posts, for client and partner social media properties in support of our campaigns
- Help develop and deploy creative content for our campaigns, including but not limited to videos, graphics, and copy for social and digital media, and (occasionally) print
- Help develop campaign strategy, utilizing compelling creative tactics that move constituents to action
- Be part of the core team developing and executing Purpose projects, from strategy and ideation through testing and implementation
- Own well-defined parts of projects and consistently deliver work to expectations and on time
- Create communication tools (slides, briefs, etc.) in support of the project
- Learn and understand how to communicate key messages through compelling storylines and logical, visual frameworks
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with poise and good humour
- Hard work ethic
- Stellar communication skills (verbal, written and listening)
- Positive attitude, enthusiasm, professionalism, ambition, curiosity and rigor
- Interest in public engagement, communication and design
- Basic knowledge of visual design tools (Photoshop etc)
- You carry high personal integrity, with commitment to creating progressive change in the world
- You understand the intersection of online and offline organizing, mobilization, and direct action
- You are familiar with digital campaigning and movement-building, and/or issue areas of strong relevance to Purpose’s mission
We think you will be a successful candidate if you have:
- Worked or volunteered on a campaign for a nonprofit, political candidate, or movement
- Digital fluency and hands-on experience with social media tools
- Training or experience in graphic design, visual storytelling or video production for social movements
- Experience with or interest in political or social/environmental issue-based campaigning
For our interns, we want to learn a bit more about you personally! Your cover letter*, in addition to detailing your relevant experience, should answer these three key questions about you:
- What about Purpose’s work resonates with your future aspirations?
- As a Purpose intern, what could you bring to the team that would set you aside from anyone else, including passions and skills outside of your educational focus?
- Name one campaign for social good that you admire and tell us what you like about it – max 250 words.
*Your cover letter should be no longer than 2 pages max.
Please apply with your CV and cover letter through the jobs page on our website: https://www.purpose.com/jobs/
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of colour, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.