Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilization and storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart political strategy and powered by new technologies for participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audience, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action that shifts decision-makers and creates lasting impact.
About Purpose Climate Lab
The Purpose Climate Lab is working on new ways to communicate and campaign on climate change by bringing together top creative, media, campaigning, data science, and technology talent to find solutions to barriers on how we tackle climate change.
About the Role
This position will exist within the Purpose Climate Lab and play a key role between the strategy and campaigns teams. Key responsibilities include ideating across all of Purpose Climate Lab content and campaigns, developing new formats and solutions, using design thinking and brand strategy, and ultimately designing the creative output for campaigns. This person will help grow the scope and quality of Purpose creative capabilities in today’s ever-evolving digital landscape.
This role is full-time based out of our New York office.
- Social Expertise & Trendspotting: Your friends turn to you for the latest and greatest of what’s happening on the Internet and every existing and emerging platform.
- Innovation: When it's required, you can think beyond content to break the mold and blur the lines between advertising, content, technology, interactive experiences … and beyond. The world is truly your canvas.
- Insights Analysis: You’re a creative and a strategist. You understand the value and necessity of insights, and you can leverage these to create a unique story across the necessary format/medium.
- Design Skills: You’re experienced when it comes to multiple design disciplines—spanning across print, digital, social, and identity development.
- Compassion: You care about using your talents as a force for change.
- Create and contribute ideas for a multitude of climate action campaigns across different global geographies, from participating in brainstorms and giving feedback to other members of the team to developing specific campaign creative assets.
- Work with creative and brand strategy teams to create strategically sound communications platforms.
- Confidently present concepts to the team or partners as needed.
- Partner with internal teams to develop a creative vision for projects.
- Exhibit and maintain strong time-management skills and ability to juggle multiple projects at once.
- Utilize pop culture, climate culture, and design thinking to create unconventional content ideas and strategies.
- Working with the wider team develop audience research and understanding, turning that insight into compelling designs.
- Design creative identities, pitch decks, websites, social media, and other outputs for campaigns that promote action and reflect campaign goals.
- 5+ years branding and design experience demonstrated by a strong portfolio. Additionally, editorial/writing and/or motion/video experience are big pluses.
- A passion for and an understanding of building movements and mobilizing people.
- Strong conceptual thinking. This role requires someone who can generate smart foundational concepts and build fresh, unexpected activations and extensions to move forward with.
- Strong leadership and teamwork skills—the ability to work with campaigners, researchers, and technologists as well as the confidence and skill to communicate ideas clearly.
- A consistently collaborative spirit.
- Undergraduate degree in advertising, design, or related field or equivalent visual design degree, with a graduate degree in a related design field a plus.
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume and a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion and qualifications for the role.
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.