Purpose builds and supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, and habitable world. We use public mobilization and storytelling to help the leading organizations, activists, businesses, and philanthropies engaged in this fight, and we create campaigning labs and new initiatives that can shift policies and change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creative, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, and political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart political strategy and powered by new technologies for participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, and ultimately drives targeted action that shifts decision-makers and creates lasting impact.
Hope is a new intelligent media platform that serves as your savvy, funny friend who helps you understand politics and take strategic action. By coming to life where users are already having conversations—SMS, Messenger, Kik, and native mobile apps—Hope uses conversation-style stories to inform, activate, and motivate the new generation of activists who want to get engaged in making change but don’t yet know how. Hope launched in October 2017 (https://meethope.us/).
ABOUT THE ROLE
Purpose is seeking a Publisher & Head of Audience to join the Hope team based in New York or San Francisco.
You’re right for the role if your looking to dig in on a fast-moving startup that seeks to change how we do digital activism and advocacy in the progressive world. You’ll be an essential member of a small team and have the ability to shape the direction of the vision and product.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Driving strategic direction of the Hope brand
- Managing our existing network of strategic partners and clients
- Developing strategies around and executing user growth programs for the Hope platform. This will include but should not be limited to: creating new partnerships, engaging political and cultural influencers, co-developing content products, creating and releasing IP, and managing paid media acquisition programs.
- Participating and helping to lead fundraising efforts
- Developing an ad-hoc network of groups and individuals that we can coordinate with on content or marketing projects
- Engaging deeply as a stakeholder in the Hope product development and content planning processes
- Evangelizing about Hope in the world
- Talking to press to tell our story
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Proven track record of growing a media or activism brand
- Someone willing to experiment with unconventional strategies and take risks
- 7+ years experience in political advocacy, organizing, digital activism, political media, or creative campaigns
- Demonstrable strong strategic thinking and campaign planning skills
- Fluency across best practices in digital strategy, from email marketing to social media to paid media
- Someone who lives and breathes numbers and data
- Ability to work lead project teams under pressure and tight deadlines and stay organized to get a campaign out the door
- Experience working in publishing, media, or activism
- Excellent writing communication skills and comfort working with creatives
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture
- Experience with running optimization experiments (e.g., A/B) and making data-driven decisions
- Experience in a start-up, growth business, or dynamic non-profit
- You’re a person of integrity, people enjoy working with you, and you’re personally committed to progressive and humanitarian values
- A great understanding of the functionality and audiences of the major platforms
- Management experience with a small flat team
If these are the things that get you up in the morning, we want to hear from you! Please submit your resume and a cover letter that gives us insight into your passion and qualifications for the role.
Purpose takes on some of the biggest challenges in the world, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.